Thursday, October 25, 2007

Southern California Fires

I am sure most of you know by now that southern California is fighting around 16 fires now. My dad was evacuated around 6am on Monday morning and my mom was evacuated around 7am Monday morning. My sister in laws parents were also evacuated around 4am Monday morning. Her parents neighborhood was hit hard. However, their home is still standing. They were able to return to their home somtime this afternoon. My mom was able to return to her home yesterday, Wednesday, October 24th. However, my dad is still not allowed to go home. However, he was able to finally go and see his area last night. His home is still standing. The fire burned all the way up the hill by his driveway. However, as he said the firefighters saved those homes in the area. We are so grateful. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all those who lost their homes. I cannot imagine the grief that they feel. We hope the fires can be contained soon. The news says that it may take until November 4th to get in under control. Madison's school is shut down today (Thurday) and Friday due to poor air quality. The fire in Fallbrook (10miles or so) down the road is leaving a blanket of smoke and ash in our area. They have canceled all games (including the BYU vs. SDSU) for the weekend. I know it will be a long road ahead, but hopefully things will be under control soon.

6 comments:

lauren said...

he went back today. good thing, he was driving me crazy afrter the first two days! im glad your families are safe, my grandmas wasn't burned, but the street behind her was, so sad...are you takin it easy? you BETTER be.

Jessica said...

I am so glad to hear that your family is safe. I couldnt imagine how hard that would be to not know. I am frustrated with my situation but the fire would be much worse to have to worry about.

Megan Conrad said...

We're praying for you guys, and we are so relieved to hear that everybody is safe. Give everybody huge hugs for us. We love you!

Tami said...

Hey Shannon - good to know everyone is ok so far. Amazingly all of our close friends and family members in Poway and RB got out OK. Though several have fire damage right up and around their property - with many neighbors who weren't so lucky. Two of my childhood friends' families homes burned to the ground. Still waiting on hearing about our cousin's home in Fallbrook - out in the boonies, so we area a little nervous. So surreal. Can't wait till this is all over.

Sandra said...

I have been thinking of you and your family. I am glad that they are safe and that their homes have made it through. The fires are unreal!!

Kristen said...

We have thought about you guys so much since we heard about the fires. I think Mark tried to call Andrew. So glad to hear that you are all okay and that your families' homes seem to be alright.